David Saper, MD Sports Medicine | Trauma | Joint Replacement | Board Certified Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dr. Saper completed both medical school and a Sports Medicine Fellowship at the prestigious University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine and served as an assistant physician for the University of Chicago Maroon’s Athletic Department. He has advanced training in a variety of both non-operative and minimally invasive procedures to treat and repair sports and orthopaedic injuries and arthritis of the shoulder, elbow, hip, knee, and ankle.
Dr. Saper also has considerable experience with fracture and trauma care and completed his residency training in New England’s busiest Level 1 Trauma Center. He continues to provide trauma and fracture care as a surgeon at two of Chicago’s Level 1 trauma centers.
Dr. Saper has long-standing ties to the Chicago area. His education and training include:
- The University of Illinois at Champaign-Urbana: Howard Hughes Undergraduate Fellow, BS in Molecular Biology, BA in Sociology
- The University of Chicago: Pritzker School of Medicine
- Boston University Medical Center: Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery
- The University of Chicago Medicine: Fellowship in Orthopaedic Sports Medicine
In addition to clinical care, Dr. Saper has presented multiple research presentations at national orthopaedic conferences including the ‘Orthopaedic Trauma Association,’ the ‘American Society for Surgery of the Hand,’ and the ‘American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.’
He has published several peer-reviewed research papers, novel surgical techniques, and review articles in the orthopaedic literature on the topics of sports and trauma and currently serves as a reviewer for the highest impact orthopaedic journal, The American Journal of Sports Medicine.
Dr. Saper is dedicated to the complete care of the individual and stays up to date with the latest techniques, technologies, and treatments to treat bone, cartilage, and joint disorders. He aims to collaborate with patients to help restore their mobility so they can reach their maximal potential in sport, work, and life.
Dr. David Saper, Orthopaedic Surgery - Advocate Health Care
Awarded Top Ten Trauma Papers of the 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
American Journal of Sports Medicine - Peer Reviewer
- David Saper MD, Akash Shaw BS, Andrew Stein, MD. “Chiari Malformation Type 1 with Cervicothoracic Syrinx Presenting as Acute Thumb Necrosis: A Case Report.” Injury 45 (2014) 62–64.
- David Saper MD, Paul Tornetta III MD. “Intraoperative Control of Rotational Forces During Sliding Hip Screw Insertion- A Novel Surgical Technique.” Techniques in Orthopaedics. December 30th 2014.
- David Saper MD, Nina Capiro BS, Richard Ma MD, Xinning Li MD. “Management of Propionibacterium acnes Infection after Shoulder Surgery.” Textbook Chapter. Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine. Jan 8th 2015. Pubmed 25596729
- Jody Litrenta, MD, David Saper, MD, Paul Tornetta III, MD, Laura Phieffer, MD, Clifford Jones, MD, Brian Mullis, MD, Kenneth Egol, MD, Cory Collinge, MD, Janos Paul Ertl, MD, Michael Gardner, MD, William Ricci, MD, David Teague, MD, William Ertl, MD, Ross Leighton, MD, Ojas Joshi, MS. “Does Syndesmotic Injury Have a Negative Effect on Functional Outcomes? A Multicenter Prospective Evaluation.” Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. Jan 29th, 2015. Pubmed 25635361
- David Saper MD, Jody Litrenta MD, Peters Otlans MPH, Paul Tornetta MD. “Factors Affecting Pain in Acute Ankle Fractures: A Prospective Evaluation. Injury 2015. DOI 10.1016/j.injury.2015.05.009. Pubmed 26021663
- David Saper MD, Kyle Lybrand MD, William Creevy MD, Xinning Li MD. “Paratenon tagging and anterior fasciotomy: A novel Achilles Tendon Repair Technique.” Orthopaedics. 2016 May 6:1-4. Pubmed 27158828
- David Saper, MD, Akash Shah, BS, Andrew Stein, MD, Andrew Jawa, MD. “Percutaneous Screw Fixation Without Bone Grafting for Delayed Unions and Nonunions of Minimially Displaced Scaphoid.” Accepted, in press: American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- H.J. Christiaan Swellengrebel, MS, David Saper, MD, Paul Yi, BS, Ryan Shin, MD, David Ring, MD, PhD, and Andrew Jawa, MD. “Nonoperative treatment of closed extra-articular distal-third diaphyseal fractures of the humerus: A comparison of functional bracing and long arm casting.” American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- David Saper MD, Akash Shaw BS, Andrew Stein MD. “Internal Fixation of Acute Scaphoid Fractures via an Open Dorsal Approach: A Radiographic and Clinical Outcome Evaluation.” Accepted with revisions. American Journal of Orthopaedics.
- David Saper MD, Kyle E. Lybrand MD, Kasey-Jean Bramlett PA-C, Michael S. Kain MD, Paul Tornetta III MD, Peter Althausen MD, Andrew J. Marcantonio DO, MBA. “Expedient Surgical Management of Hip Fractures while Therapeutically Anticoagulated: A Multicenter Investigation.” In revision, Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma
- David Saper MD, Xinning Li MD. “Novel Suture Loop Technique for Supra-pectoral Biceps Tenodesis.” Manuscript and video, Arthroscopy Techniques.
- Lahey Health and Medical Center Research Award